BTEC Extended Diploma
Why should I study Computing at Moor Park?
The Extended Diploma in Computing is equivalent to 3 A-Levels and will give you the opportunity to understand the fundamental principles in using and
operating computer systems. It is a practical course designed for students who are committed to their study of Computing. You will learn practical
approaches to computer programming and resolving hardware problems. You will also have the opportunity to shadow an IT professional and be prepared for
either the world of work or higher education.
What will the course involve?
The Extended Diploma in Computing requires students to complete 10 units. The mandatory units are as follows:
• Principles of computer science (exam assessed unit)
• Fundamentals of computer systems
(exam assessed unit)
• Planning and management of Computing projects
• Software design and development projects
• IT Systems, security and encryption
• Business Applications of social media
• The impact of Computing
Optional Units include:
• Web application development
• Programmable devices and controllers
• Computer forensics
• Networking operating systems
• Communication technologies
• Business Process modelling tools
How will I be assessed?
2 Examined Units (20%)
What careers are available after the course?
The BTEC Extended Certificate in Computing prepares students well for further study at university, following degree programmes in Computing related areas, such as Computer Programming, Website Design, Network Managing and Project Planning. Employment opportunities are also vast, such as Network Managers, Business Analysts, Games Developers and Consultancy.
What are the entry requirements for this course?
5 GCSE’s including English and Maths.
Exam Board: Edexcel